Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Vietnamese American - Cindy Truong - was elected to be Oklahoma District Judge

.



Former prosecutor to become next Oklahoma County judge
Cindy Truong won over retired prosecutor Pat Crawley.


BY NOLAN CLAY Oklahoman
Published: November 3, 2010

Source: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-elections-former-prosecutor-to-become-next-oklahoma-county-judge/article/3510694

Former prosecutor Cindy Truong won Tuesday in a bitter race to become Oklahoma County's next district judge.

Truong, 35, of Oklahoma City, defeated retired prosecutor Pat Crawley.

With most of the ballots counted, Truong led 95,809 to 73,200.

Her victory is the latest milestone in what her campaign called "an Oklahoma success story" that began when she arrived from Vietnam in 1986.

"It just proves that if you work hard and you believe in yourself, anything could happen," she said Tuesday night. "Oklahoma is a great state to be able to do that. They're not judging me based on my race, my age, my gender, but based on my character, my record and my qualifications."

She used a campaign slogan that she was law enforcement's choice. Crawley, who had the endorsement of the Oklahoma City Fraternal Order of Police, contended she actually had little law enforcement support and was tricking voters.

http://www.cindytruongfordistrictjudge.com/

Abut Cindy - by Cindy



My life has been one big trial. I was born in Vietnam and grew up in that war-torn country without a father. I saw much injustice there. I came to the United States when I was only 11 year old without speaking one word of English. Instead of wallowing in sorrow, I made myself strong. I studied hard. I learned English. I developed an intense work ethic. I later graduated high school a Valedictorian. I never forgot the injustice that occurred day after day in Vietnam.

As far back as I can remember I had always wanted to be part of the judicial system. I continued to work hard and started my “legal” journey as a law clerk at McKinney & Stringer. Eventually, I received my law degree and worked as an assistant district attorney. I continue to work as an assistant district attorney to this day.

As an assistant district attorney, I’ve tried well over fifty jury trials to verdict. My trial experiences are in civil and criminal cases, which specifically include murder, delinquent, deprived, armed robbery, and drug trafficking cases. The depth and breadth of my legal background; my personal experience and work ethic; and diverse background provide me with the necessary skills to be a great judge. As a criminal prosecutor, I have always sought justice for the people of Oklahoma County. As a judge, I will continue to strive to insure a just outcome in all cases.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment